We are grateful to Kelly Shenton the Gardeners Show Secretary for supplying a report on this years show.
The show was very well attended at the wonderful community facility of the Kingsley Village Hall and it was lovely to see some new faces who entered some fantastic vegetables and handicraft work. It was especially encouraging to see 3 generations of a local family who have memories of visiting and competing as children and are now returning with their own children to take part!
Everyone was impressed with the quality of the exhibits, enjoyed refreshments and homemade cake and then congratulated the worthy trophy winners before finishing off the day with a raffle and grand auction of produce. Thank you to all of the hardworking committee members for arranging this year’s show and to for Bob McGuinness for his enthusiasm as auctioneer! Last, but not least, we are very grateful to all those who took part, without their entries there would not be a show so please keep them coming!
Our next show will be held on Saturday 26th August 2017 at the Village Hall in Kingsley and it will be our 75th show. We want to make this one a real community event and celebration of the longevity of the show (we believe it is one of the oldest running shows in the area) and urge all those local to Kingsley to come along and get involved. We will be extending our categories to make it as appealing as possible. This show is not just for the green-fingered as we have sections for baking, home brew, handicraft, flower displays, photography and a great section just for children.
If anyone is interested in finding out more or wish to be involved in some way then please contact Kelly Shenton on 07983 435239 or email@example.com
Here is a list of the various cups winners – well done to all who took part – unlike the Olympics it really is all about taking part, but nice to win of course !
- Walter Carnwell Memorial Cup (most points) – Barry Clarke
- L.W. Holdsworth Cup (second most points) – Dave Johnson
- Association Cup (most points in floral art and baking) – Diane Lucas
- Fisholizer Manure Silver Challenge Cup (second most points in floral art and baking) – Gaynor Lund
- Jamieson Cup (best potatoes) – Barry Clarke
- Arthur Hammersley Memorial Cup (best vegetable in show) – Barry Clarke
- Bill Cope Memorial Trophy (most points Sweet Pea’s) – Dave Johnson
- Charles Whieldon Memorial Trophy (most points home brew) – Steve Johnson
- The Maynard Trophy (most points Dahlia’s) – Dave Johnson
- R.K. Johnson Cup (best exhibit, judges discretion) – Dave Johnson
- David Baker Bowl (best exhibit in handicraft, judges discretion) – Alison Pooler
- Newry Callan Memorial Cup (best Leeks) – Barry Clarke
- Albert Clarke Memorial Cup (best onions grown from seed) – Barry Clarke
- Barry Clarke Novice Cup (best novice, judges discretion) – Phil Slack
- Ben Fowell Trophy (best children’s exhibit, judges discretion) – Amy Palmer Botham